Save the Date!
Details for the 3SquaresVT Challenge - November 15-21, 2015 - are still in the works. Below you'll find information and resources related to the 2014 3SquaresVT Challenge, which can still be used to create your own challenge!
Can you eat well on the average 3SquaresVT benefit of $36/week?
The purpose of the 3SquaresVT Challenge is to draw attention to the experience of living on a strict food budget and to build awareness of the importance of 3SquaresVT (called SNAP nationally). Join us in taking the Challenge November 16-22, 2014.
Did you know?
One in four people, or an estimated 153,000 people, in Vermont turn to food shelves and meal service programs to feed themselves and their families. This includes 33,900 children and 26,010 seniors. Also:
- 71.8 percent of households report purchasing inexpensive, unhealthy food because they could not afford healthier options.
- 56 percent of households report having to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care.
More than half (53.9%) of households visiting Vermont food shelves and meal sites report using three or more coping strategies for getting enough food in the past 12 months. The frequency of these strategies among all households include:
- 52.6 percent report eating food past the expiration date;
- 36.4 percent report growing food in a garden;
- 25.3 percent report pawning or selling personal property;
- 71.8 percent report purchasing inexpensive, unhealthy food;
- 31 percent report watering down food or drinks;
- 53.4 percent report receiving help from friends or family.
Why take the 3SquaresVT Challenge?
The 3SquaresVT Challenge encourages participants to get a sense of what life is like for millions of low-income Americans facing hunger by highlight what it is like to eat on the average 3SquaresVT benefit—approximately $36 per week for a single person. Help us bring awareness to the issue of hunger and the struggles that families face when living on fixed or low incomes.
3SquaresVT Challenge Guidelines
1 person = $36/week
2 people = $54/week
3 people = $82/week
4 people = $95/week
For households with more than 4 people, add $15 per person for the week.
- Include all of your food and beverage purchases in your weekly budget, including snacks, fast food, dining out, etc.
- Only eat foods bought with your weekly budget. Exceptions include: spices and condiments already in your pantry, food from your garden and school lunches for children, since many kids on 3SquaresVT are eligible for free or reduced price meals.
- Challenge participants should not plan to use food shelves, produce drops, meal sites or other community resources. While 61% of 3SquaresVT recipients need to rely on those resources, those resources are for those truly in need.
Join us and take the 3SquaresVT Challenge by completing the form below!
NOTE: The daily e-mails are only sent out during the statewide Challenge in November. Sign up and do the Challenge at any time, but you'll hear from us in November 2014.
Support for the 3SquaresVT Challenge