Hunger Action Conference 2014
8th Annual Vermont Foodbank Hunger Action Conference
Friday, May 9th, 2014
Sheraton Conference Center
South Burlington, Vermont
The Vermont Foodbank Hunger Action Conference brings together hundreds of attendees, representing charitable food providers and partners in the anti-hunger movement, to leverage the power of sharing information and resources for collaboration and progress.
This year’s conference will focus on the importance of celebrating successes and the value of telling our story, along with teaching tangible tools for mindfulness in leadership, whole systems collaboration and operating from our core values. Conference attendees will end the day feeling hopeful, with a sense of camaraderie and will leave with ideas and tangible actions to help them sustain and build upon the hard work they do.
2014 Conference Highlights
Workshop speakers from around Vermont and beyond will offer presentations on:
- The Art of Telling Your Story and Ignition Point: Creating an Elevator Speech That Cannot Be Ignored with keynote Kim Weitkamp
- Re-Establishing Social and Economic Mobility, with Jesús Gerena, executive director of the Family Independence Initiative
- Every Day Ethics and Ethical Leadership with Martha Maksym, executive director of the United Way for Chittenden County
- Mindfulness in Leadership with executive director, Kim Nolan from WholeHeart Inc.
- Round Table Discussion on Whole Systems Collaboration with Linda Ryan, Director of Samaritan House & Co-chair of the Governor’s Council on Pathways out of Poverty; Molly Scott, Senior Research Associate in the Metropolitan Housing and Communities Center; Paul Dragon, Chief Administrator of the Vermont Office of Economic Opportunity and John Sayles, Vermont Foodbank CEO. This workshop will be facilitated by Monica Hutt, Director of Policy and Planning for the Vermont Agency of Human Services.
A World Café Discussion led by Jeff Mandell, MS, will help attendees explore:
- How do we stay resilient as we fight hunger in Vermont?
- How do we remain flexible in the face of change?
- How do we stay inspired every day to continue doing this critical work?
Breakfast, networking lunch, and a local resource marketplace with 20+ exhibitors
Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Social. Ice cream donated by:
Featured Keynote & Presenter
Featured keynote speaker and workshop presenter, Kim Weitkamp, is a humorist, coach and a spoken word artist. Kim will share how to “shift the paradigm,” using her own personal stories, leaving the audience feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the world. She is the proud recipient of the Toastmasters Leadership and Communication Award, and has recently worked with other anti-hunger organizations including Feeding America and the Greater Boston Food Bank.
For the Conference Agenda and Workshop Descriptions, click here.
To register by mail, download the PDF registration form.
- General Public - $70
- Nonprofit -- $45
- Network Partner -- $45
- Second Network Partner -- $10
Join this event on Facebook too, for regular updates and more info!
Night Before Networking Reception
New this year, the Vermont Foodbank will be hosting a Networking Reception on the eve of the 2014 Hunger Action Conference. Please join the Foodbank and other conference attendees for light food, drinks and conversations from 6PM - 8PM on Thursday, May 8th at G’s Restaurant located at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center. This event is free of charge for conference attendees, however please RSVP to reserve your spot today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 802-477-4121.
The Vermont Foodbank is excited to offer 20 $150 scholarships to help our network partners offset the cost of traveling (mileage, hotel, van rental, etc.) to the 2014 Hunger Action Conference in Burlington. Scholarships will be awarded as reimbursement for expenses. The deadline for scholarships has passed and recipients notified via e-mail.
The Sheraton offered discounted hotel rates through April 17th. While the discount is no longer available, reservations can still be made. Make your reservation here.
As a thank you for attending this year’s Hunger Action Conference, network partner attendees will receive 20% off all cooperative buying program orders placed between June 1st and June 30th.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont
Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf
Mutual of America
View photos from the 2013 Hunger Action Conference.
Watch videos from the 2013 Hunger Action Conference.
View previous conference information from 2013 and 2012.