VT Fresh is a nutrition education program that increases access to and improves the availability of fruits and vegetables at food shelves.
VT Fresh is inspired by research on nutrition intervention programs which have found that modifying the food environment can have a large impact on food-related behaviors. VT Fresh incorporates additional strategies for improving the food environment with displays, promotions and messaging tools that help make it easier for clients to choose fruits and vegetables.
In 2014, the program was piloted in partnership with eleven food shelves. VT Fresh accomplished:
- 196 cooking demos
- 2,096 participants
- 2,977 contacts
- 28,082 lbs of produce distributed
After the taste test:
- 43% of participants indicated they like a specific fruit or vegetable at least 30% more after the taste test than before.
- 41% of adult participants demonstrated the intention to eat a specific vegetable again by taking the food item home.
- 77% of participant indicated the intention to change their diet by stating that they were “more likely to eat” a specific fruit or vegetable again after participating in the program.
One hundred percent of food shelves implemented at least one new or improved strategy to modify their food environment to promote consumption of more fruits and vegetables.
VT Fresh Locations
- Bennington Kitchen Cupboard, Bennington
- Brattleboro Area Drop In Center, Brattleboro
- Chester-Andover Family Center, Chester
- Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf, Burlington
- Central Vermont Community Action Council, Barre
- Fairfield Community Center, East Fairfield
- Hardwick Area Food Pantry, Hardwick
- Johnson Food Shelf, Johnson
- Our Place Drop-In Center, Bellows Falls
- Putney Food Shelf, Putney
- Springfield Family Center, Springfield
This program is made possible through the generous support of the Walmart Foundation and Kyrias Foundation. Your support also makes VT Fresh possible. Please consider making a gift to the Vermont Foodbank today.
To read more about the goals and strategies of VT Fresh, click here for a PDF.
For more information, contact:
Director of Community Health and Fresh Food Initiatives