Dead River Company is, once again, taking part in Hunger Action Month and inviting Northern New Englanders to help keep our friends and neighbors fed.
As children across New England head back to school, we’re reminded that school breakfast and lunch programs are often the keys to keeping children from going hungry, so it’s appropriate that September is Hunger Action Month.
As part of our ongoing commitment to fighting food insecurity and hunger, Dead River Company is continuing to help raise awareness and provide on-going support to food banks and pantries in its service areas in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and northern Massachusetts—where the need is great.
Healthy food is the fuel children need to keep them going—and growing. Having enough healthy food also allows them to stay focused and do better in school. And a good education is key to helping break the cycle of poverty that leaves so many families food insecure. Many children rely heavily on food programs to get the healthy meals their developing minds need.
- In Maine, 202,910 people, including 1 in every 4 children do not have enough food on a daily basis.
- In New Hampshire, more than 41,000 children under the age of 18 are food insecure.
- In Vermont, over 84,000 people don’t’ know where their next meal is coming from. More than 23,000 children under the age of 18 live in food insecure homes.
- In Franklin County Massachusetts alone, more than 2,200 children under the age of 18 are food insecure.
During Hunger Action Month, Dead River Company is offering a simple way for the public to help those in need.
September 6th – 18th, submit a back to school photo and Dead River Company will donate $5 to a local food bank. And for every new “Like” on Dead River Company’s Facebook page, they will donate another $5 — for a total combined donation of up to $10,000.
“Children can’t learn on an empty stomach,” said Deanna Sherman, President & CEO of Dead River Company. “If they can’t learn, they can’t thrive and we need our young people to grow up healthy and eager to learn. This is an easy way to raise awareness within the community and to raise much needed funds.”
According to Feeding America, each dollar donated to fight hunger equals 11 meals. Together, we can provide 110,000 meals to our friends and neighbors across New England.
All money donated by Dead River Company will be distributed among the local food banks in the company’s service area.
- Maine – Good Shepherd Food Bank
- New Hampshire – New Hampshire Food Bank
- Vermont – Vermont Food Bank
- Massachusetts – Center for Self Reliance food pantry