A few of our network partners have indicated that when they have ground turkey in their freezers, some clients are hesitant to try it. So we asked a volunteer, Sally Simpson, to develop and test an easy recipe for ground turkey. This turkey chili looks delicious, simple, and, for a meat-based meal, relatively affordable.
Turkey Chili Ingredients:
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bill pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope medium spiced chilli seasonings plus 1/2 cup of water
- 1 large jar of crushed tomatoes
- Brown turkey in a fry brown, breaking up pieces of turkey has it browns.
- Drain off excess fat and set turkey aside.
- Add oil to pan along with the next 4 items and cook over a medium heat until onions are translucent and other veggies are slightly cooked
- Add turkey back into pan with veggies
- Add seasoning and crushed tomatoes, stir in water, cover pan and cover over a low heat for 1 hour.
- Correct seasonings with salt and pepper. You can also add jerk, hot sauce and turmeric depending on your palette.
Notes from Sally:
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
This should feed 6 for a cost of about $2.75 per serving, depending on the cost of the turkey.
Thank you, Sally, for creating and testing this recipe for us!