This Meatless Monday, we’ve got a recipe for Spicy Napa Cabbage Slaw, as well as growing, storage and preparation tips for Asian greens (bok choy, tatsoi, and Napa, or “Chinese,” cabbage) from our Vermont Fresh: A Fruit and Vegetable Handbook.
Lila Rees, a volunteer cooking, tasting and testing recipes out of the Vermont Fresh Handbook worked on this one. Her comments are below in italics.
Meatless Monday Recipe: Spicy Napa Cabbage Slaw
(adapted from Ruth Cousineau: Gourmet, August 2008 and epicurious.com)
- 1 small head Napa cabbage
- 2 carrots
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (or another kind of vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (powdered or fresh ginger, peeled and grated)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the base off